Welcome back from your summer break, Class 4! We are going to be very busy this term working hard on our Writing and Maths targets, exploring our new topic of 'Rainforests', making sure we give our best in every thing we do and of course having lots of fun!
In English, we will be learning about:
- Stories from other cultures.
- To use a wide variety of punctuation in all pieces of writing accurately. If we forget the first time, check our work over with a purple polishing punctuation pen because editing our work is very important.
- Identifying the main and subordinating clauses in our sentences and using a variety of subordinating conjunctions.
- Punctuating speech accurately.
- Using apostrophes to show contraction, possession and plural possession.
- Grammar, spelling and handwriting practice.
In Maths, we will be looking at:
- Learning all of our times tables up to 12x.
- The place value of each digit in a four-digit number.
- Ordering and comparing numbers.
- Roman Numerals.
- Rounding to the nearest 10, 100 and 1000.
In Science, we will be learning about 'States of Matter'.
In this topic, we will be learning:
- The properties of the three different states of matter: solid, liquid and gas.
- How condensation and evaporation is important within the Water cycle.
- Investigate air as an example of a gas.
Our next topic of will be 'Rainforests'.
We will be having lots of fun learning about this topic. During this topic we will look at where the rainforests are in the world, the layers of the rainforest, how the lives of the rainforest people compare to ours, creatures of the forest, how and why the rainforest is being destroyed and we also be discovering ways that people are trying to save the rainforest. As designers, we will be planning and making our own healthy tropical fruit drink. In Music, we will begin to play the flute and represent a rainforest scene creating our own compositions. During our PE lessons we will have swimming each Monday and PE each Friday. (PE kits to be brought into school each Monday and remain in school until Friday)
For more information, please see Topic Web below.
Ihoho - Our Adopted Gorilla
You decided that as a class you would like to adopt a mountain gorilla - and each and every one of you pledged to give up one of your prizes that you will earn from collecting 'dojos'. I am so very proud of you all! Every week one of you will have the opportunity to take our Ihoho soft toy home. We will continue to receive newsletters about Ihoho.
- Writing and Maths targets will be recorded in our Homework diaries and Homework books.
- Homework is compulsory and will be given out every Thursday and should be returned to school every Monday. (Additional optional challenge homework may be sent out throughout the week, which will help you achieve your targets and it will be rewarded with extra dojos.)
- Please could PE kits be in school Monday morning.
- In addition to earning Silver and Gold certificates, we will be trying extra hard to earn Dojo points on 'Class Dojo'. Check out the Dojo points tracker to see when you'll earn your next prize.
- Blue homework diaries should be brought in to school every day and placed in your trays.
- Extra Dojos will be awarded for times tables, spellings and handwriting practice.
- Reading is very important. If you read every night and have a signature off an adult who has listened to you - you will earn a reading stamp. If you earn 5 reading stamps/Pokemon stickers in a week, you will earn Golden Time.
- Also, in Class 4 we have the 'Special Sparkly Corner' where we can sit and think of all the things that make us smile or take a few minutes to relax - this will be our special treat.
My door is always open so please feel free to make an appointment and chat about your child's learning.
Thank you to all parents for your continued support.