Welcome to Year 5!
Welcome back Year 5! I hope that you had a great summer break and that you are looking forward to a very busy year! Our topic this term will be ‘World War II’. Below is a little bit about the things that we are going to learn.
In English, we will be looking at:
- Instruction texts
- Discussion Texts
- Non-chronological reports/Information/Explanation texts
- Advertising/Persuasion – propaganda posters
- Persuasive writing
- Authors and texts – Michael Morpurgo
- Diary Writing
- Grammar, punctuation and spelling focus
In Maths, we will be looking at:
- Number: Place Value
- Written methods of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Shape: Using 3D nets to create interactive
- Measures: weighing and measuring food – rationing
- Using and Applying: Problem solving, reasoning and justifying answers
- Statistics: Line graphs/Tables
- World War II Timeline- running up to the outbreak of the war.
In Science, we will be learning about Forces, which includes:
- Explaining that unsupported objects fall towards the Earth because of the force of gravity acting between the Earth and the falling object.
- Investigating the effects of friction, air resistance and water resistance that act between moving surfaces
- Recognising that some mechanisms, including pulleys, levers and gears, allow a smaller force to have a greater effect.
- Describe the movement of the Earth, and other planets, relative to the Sun in the solar system.
- Describe the movement of the Moon relative to the Earth.
- Describe the Sun, Earth and Moon as approximately spherical bodies.
- Use the idea of the Earth’s rotation to explain day and night and the apparent movement of the Sun across the sky.
World War II
Our first exciting topic for this year will be World War II. During this topic, we will look at Britain’s role in the war, the location of the countries involved in WWII, life on the Home Front in Britain, Evacuees, Rationing, Anne Frank and the Holocaust, VE Day and Life after the war, the beginning of WWII, comparing Europe then and now, and much more!
For more information, please see the WWII Topic Web below.
Year 5 will have PE with our fantastic Superstar PE specialist! There will be plenty of opportunities for sport in the Autumn term, so PE kits should be brought to school on a Monday and remain here until Friday each week.
Homework is set on a Thursday and should be returned every Monday. Homework will be linked to the work that we are covering in class. Remember that you can always upload your homework to Showbie. Your blue Homework Diaries should be in school every day. Please continue to read daily at home and record this in your blue diary for extra dojos! Practising your times tables and spellings will earn extra dojos too!
For photographs of class and school activities, please click on 'CHILDREN' and then 'GALLERY'.
Please feel free to come and see me about anything you may need help with. I am happy to meet with you and discuss any comments, questions or concerns you may have about our topic, the work covered in class or your child's progress.