A Walford Nursery and Primary School pupil will:
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics;
- Develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them;
- Be equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of Science, today and for the future.
- Develop the essential scientific enquiry skills to deepen their scientific knowledge.
- Use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in a systematic, scientific manner, including I.C.T., diagrams, graphs and charts.
- Develop a respect for the materials and equipment they handle with regard to their own, and other children’s safety.
- Develop an enthusiasm and enjoyment of scientific learning and discovery.
What does our Science Curriculum look like?
Please refer to:
- Our Long Term Overview to demonstrate the progression of knowledge and skills within the whole school Science offer;
- Our Curriculum Maps for each year group to map teaching and learning, knowledge and skills through topics;
- Knowledge Organisers which summarise the key knowledge and skills to be acquired and retained during Science topics.
At Walford Nursery and Primary School, we recognise the importance of Science in every aspect of daily life. Our Science Curriculum facilitates sequential learning and long-term progression of knowledge and skills. Teaching and learning methods provide regular opportunities to recap acquired knowledge through high quality questioning, discussion, modelling and explaining to aid retrieval and the beginning and end of a lesson or unit. This enables all children to alter their long-term memory, know more, remember more and be able to do more as Scientists.