Welcome to Spring Term in Year 2!
Our topic for the Spring Term is ‘Marvellous Men in their Flying Machines!'
During this topic, we will be thinking about the history of flight and how this has developed over time.
Read on to find out some of the amazing things that we will be learning about during the Spring term.
Please download and view the topic web at the bottom of the page for more information.
In English, we will be looking at:
- Non-Fiction: Information texts
- Fiction: Fantasy stories
- Using a range of adjectives and adverbs to make our writing more exciting.
- Using the conjunctions ‘because, ‘but’ and ‘so’.
- Using commas in a list.
- Using apostrophes for contraction.
- Up levelling our sentences using conjunctions, adverbs and adverbials.
We will also continue to practice our grammar, spelling and handwriting as well as focusing on improving our reading Comprehension focus.
In Maths, we will be looking at:
- Multiplication and division: Recalling 2, 5 and 10 times table facts. Understanding multiplication through repeated addition and dividing through sharing equally.
- Fractions: Finding halves, thirds and quarters of a range of shapes and values.
- Shape: Identifying and sorting a range of 2D and 3D shapes. Children will be investigating 3D shapes and will be looking at identifying the number of vertices, edges and faces each shape has.
In Science, we will be learning about ‘Materials’. We will be looking at:
- Identifying a range of materials and their properties.
- Investigating how a range of objectives can be changed by twisting, stretching, bending and squashing.
- Understanding why materials have been chosen for a specific purpose.
We will be working scientifically to identify to test a range of materials to investigate how strong they are and whether they are waterproof or absorbant.
As historians, we will learn:
- To understand and chronological order the events of the history of flight.
- To understand how flying machines have changed over time and to identify specific moments in history that have impacted our lives and how we travel today.
- To investigate and identify information about the Wright brothers and Amy Johnson.
- Explore flying inventions from the past and compare them with transport form today.
In Geography, we will learn about the world. This will include:
- Identifying and naming the world’s seven continents and 5 oceans.
- Comparing the uk with a non-European country, thinking about the people, weather and physical geography.
This term, Year 2 will be continuing their yoga journey with Kate and we will also be focusing on developing our gymnastic skills.
There will also be plenty of opportunities for different sports during the Spring Term, so PE kits should be brought to school on a Monday and remain here until Friday each week.
Homework is set on a Thursday and should be returned every Monday. Homework may be a consolidation of tricky topics covered in class throughout the week, a research task to prepare for new concepts or a personalised activity to help your child in achieving their targets. Please encourage your child to attempt their homework and please feel free to add a note if your child found the task difficult (and required your support) or if you noticed they were particularly confident with the topic.
Talk Homework will help you to prepare for your Big Write each week. Please spend 5-10 minutes chatting with a family member at home in order to feel more confident about your written task the following day.
Communication Book & Book Bags:
Please could you ensure your child brings their book bag into school each day. Book bags should contain your child's green 'Communication Book' and reading book. Please check your child's book bag each evening for letters that may have been handed out that day.
Reading books will be changed when the Communication Book is signed to say your child has finished their book. Please could you aim to read with your child every day, even for just 5 to 10 minutes! Every little bit of reading practise will help your child develop their reading skills- not just word recognition or sound blending techniques, but their comprehension of the text they are reading.
The children will be given a level for their comprehension skills so, as well as hearing them read every day, asking questions to check their understanding of the text is really helpful too! Children will be heard reading in their RWI and Literacy and Language sessions. Children may also be herd reading as often as possible by any other classroom visitors!
Dojo's will be awarded to children for completing all homework tasks and reading each evening at home.
Extra Dojos will also be awarded for times tables, spellings and handwriting practice.
Remember to keep checking Twitter @WalfordPrimary for regular updates about what Class 2 have been up to.
Tuesday, 7th January 2020: First day of Spring Term
Tuesday, 11th February 2020: E-Safety Learning Walk: Safer Internet day ~ 9am
Wednesday, 12th February 2020: KS1 Sing Spring event
Thursday, 13th February 2020: Learning Walk: Creative Reading and Writing using iPads~ 9am
Thursday, 13th February 2020: KS1 Disco ~ 5 - 6pm
Monday, 17th February 2020 – Monday, 24th February 2020: HALF TERM
Friday, 13th March 2020: Sport Relief: Where what you like
Thursday, 26th March 2020: Learning Walk: Science in Action ~ 1pm
Friday, 3rd April 2020: LAST DAY OF TERM
Please feel free to come and see me about anything you may need help with. I am happy to meet with you and discuss any comments, questions or concerns you may have about our topic, the work covered in class or your child's progress.
Thank you for your continued support,